[Web4lib] RSS

Mike Taylor mike at miketaylor.org.uk
Mon Aug 8 12:40:07 EDT 2005

> Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:23:50 -0400
> From: Wayne Graham <wsgrah at wm.edu>
>
> Try RSSWatcher.com (http://www.rsswatcher.com/)

Thanks, that looks like just thing!  I've subscribed and added a
Slashdot feed; within an hour, I'll know whether it works.

> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:29:43 -0700
> From: "Houghton, Sarah" <SHoughton at co.marin.ca.us>
>
> The two options that I am familiar with are:
>
> RMail: http://www.kbcafe.com/rss/rss2smtp.aspx
> and
> rss2email: http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/rss2email/

These look good, too.  Many thanks for the links.

> I prefer RSS to e-mail because I can access it on my terms, when I
> want to, and exactly what I want to.  With e-mail listservs, I feel
> "pushed upon," whereas with RSS, I know all the information is
> sitting there happily, waiting for me to read it when I'm ready.

Hey, no-one _forces_ you to read emails :-)

> Because I subscribe to nearly 300 RSS feeds, if all of those came in
> through e-mail I would become, in short, insane.  To each his or her
> own, of course!

You're very right.  The wonder of well-defined comms protocols such as
RSS, and RFC 822 for email, is that we can build out of them whatever
infrastructure we want.  For someone such as myself who is likely to
subscribe to maybe four RSS feeds, tops, email is clearly the way to
go, as it saves me having to deal with a whole new channel of
communication.  I can easily see that your case is different!

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom
	 in the guise of public safety" -- Thomas Jefferson.