[Web4lib] RSS

Houghton, Sarah SHoughton at co.marin.ca.us
Mon Aug 8 11:36:05 EDT 2005

There are two main areas that I think of when I consider RSS and libraries.  And I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, so anybody jump in at any time here...

1) RSS & your patrons.  The simplest way to add RSS to your services is to have a frequently updated weblog with "what's new" at your library--and to have RSS feeds for that weblog.  I'll offer up my library's blog as an example: http://www.marincountyfreelibrary.blogspot.com/.  We don't really call it a blog, but simply link from a "What's New @ the Library" button on our homepage (http://www.co.marin.ca.us/library).  Here's a great list of library and librarian weblogs: http://www.libdex.com/weblogs.html  You can also do magnificent things with RSS in your catalog (new item alerts based on interests, new entries in subject guides, etc.).  The Hennepin County Library is an excellent example of this: http://www.hclib.org/pub/search/RSS.cfm  Finally, you can have a website full of individual area blogs with RSS feeds, like the Ann Arbor District Library has created with their recent website re-design: http://www.aadl.org/

2) RSS & the library staff.  There are hundreds of library & information science weblogs with RSS feeds.  Get a nearly comprehensive list of libraries and librarians with blogs at: http://www.libdex.com/weblogs.html Reading these (through RSS feeds, or not) is a great way to stay up to date on issues facing the library world...and not just technology issues, either!  Many of the political battles, ethical issues, and ALA headline news stories appear first in the blogosphere before they make it into print media. RSS is a wonderful tool to use to stay professionally current.

My two cents,
Sarah