[Web4lib] Seamless search across Monographs and Electronic resources

Michael McCulley drweb at san.rr.com
Mon Aug 1 22:05:27 EDT 2005

There are at least two (2) fundamental ways you can do this, and they are
not mutually exclusive:

 a) Most vendors of electronic resources (commercial, not such much with
Open Source) will provide you with MARC records for your titles and
resources; these can then be input into the catalog, and when searching,
users find "links" (856 MARC Field) to your electronic titles. This does
*not* provide access to article or abstract level information -- only to
title level.

 b) Metasearch or federated search tools, such as WebFeat
(http://www.webfeat.org/) -- which we use at SDPL, provide access to your
catalog *and* other electronic resources. This can provide article level
searching, or titles, depending upon the terms the user(s) provide as input.
Serials Solutions has come out with a federated tool, known as Central
Search. See also the new product from Bowker for metasearching multiple
resources.

Hope this helps a bit..

Best,
DrWeb

--
P. Michael McCulley aka DrWeb
mailto:drweb at san.rr.com
San Diego, CA
http://drweb.typepad.com/

Quote of the Moment:
 First Poker Principle: If you've been in the game thirty minutes and you
don't know who the patsy is, *you're* the patsy.
Monday, August 01, 2005 7:03:40 PM