[WEB4LIB] remote authentication and unix

Bret Parker Bret.Parker at ci.stockton.ca.us
Wed Apr 13 16:38:00 EDT 2005

Use EZ-proxy. There is not reason why you should be bound to AIX.  You
can run your EZproxy  on a separate server very affordably. We run it on
a desktop type PC running Linux.

If load is an issue, there are ways to deal with this. We only direct
requests to our EZproxy server when the request are in-coming from folks
who are NOT in the Library. This greatly reduces the amount of traffic
that the proxy server has to pay attention to. This is done with some
scripting on the web server. That same scripting also makes it easy to
update vendor URLs, if the product URL changes, for instance.

Bret Parker
Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library
605 N. El Dorado St
Stockton, CA 95202

Have you used your electronic library subscription today?
  Pick a topic and read!   http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us/electronic/

>>> Sandra Cahillane <scahilla at baypath.edu> 4/13/2005 12:32:52 PM >>>

Hello all,

We just purchased a lovely, new IBM server with AIX on it.  Sadly,
ezproxy
no longer maintains software for this platform.  We would very much
like to
be our own proxy server for remote authentication.  I would love any
and
all ideas and suggestions (or workarounds for ezproxy) that people
could
suggest as possible solutions for remote authentication for a unix box
for
a non-programmer systems administrator.

I am familiar with cgi-scripts.  Would a cgi-script work for remote
access?
Primarily what I want is a seamless, one click authentication process
for
users that will direct them to the correct page (database listing or
remote
access logon page)  depending on whether they are on-campus or off.

It's good to know you're here when I need you! :)

Thanks,

Sandy Cahillane
Systems and Reference Librarian
Bay Path College