[WEB4LIB] Fwd: Peter Scott's "retirement"

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Thu Apr 7 23:44:55 EDT 2005

I first heard of Peter Scott when he created an elegant and compelling
solution to a problem librarians had in the early days of the Internet.
HyTelnet was a hypertext directory of Internet resources available via
telnet that made it easy to discover the address and connection
instructions to a burgeoning set of resources on this new and unsettled
network. Peter's work in large measure presaged directory services such
as Yahoo! that we now all take for granted.
HyTelnet was also one of the first uses of hypertext on the Internet,
long before the web or even gopher were to come on the scene.

The fact that he did all of this from Saskatoon, Canada, a place that
most people using his product had never heard of, was one of our first
lessons on the power of the Internet. It didn't matter whether Peter
was the head of the library or the janitor, whether he was male or
female, rich or poor. On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog. Or,
in Peter's case, a British transplant who writes blues songs and looks
like Ernest Hemingway.

As a rabid fan of HyTelnet, I quickly struck up a long-distance
friendship with Peter that lasts to this day. The fact that we had been
corresponding for many years before we finally met is another lesson of
the Internet. Relationships can be established and maintained in many
ways, not just in person.

Peter's curiosity and ability to avidly pick up new technologies and
understand how they can be applied to library (and indeed societal)
issues is remarkable. The fact that he grew up in the age of the manual
typewriter rather than the iPod makes it all the more amazing.

I'm pleased that Peter has been able to find a way to quit his day job
while he still has many years and lots of energy to continue to
contribute to the profession in his inimitable way. I know he will find
time to pursue many personal interests, but I'm not yet ready to give
up all the many projects that he has created and nurtured over the
years, some of them only minutes old even in Internet time.

Congratulations Peter, and I'll see you on the net!
Roy