[WEB4LIB] RE: opacs for children

Alain D. M. G. Vaillancourt ndgmtlcd at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 13:49:36 EDT 2005

Hello!

Several years ago I had the privilege of getting a personal demo of
PACE, the prototype OPAC Jamshed Beheshti developed with Andrew Large,
Mary Bialek and Valerie Large.  It was written in Visual Basic, I
think, and the graphics were relatively primitive compared to what we
see now on a few of the more advanced Web OPACs just coming out, but
the approach was novel and I have never seen anything yet which comes
close to it.  It offered a "natural" and gradual extension to existing
OPAC formats, in the form of book spines of correct height and a good
approximation of the thickness of each book, generated by taking
informatio from each MARC record.

They tested the system in the library of a secondary school, with good
results.

See:
Beheshti, J., V. Large, and M. Bialek. "Public access catalogue
extension (PACE): a browsable graphical interface." Information
Technology and Libraries. Vol. 15 No. 4 (1996): pp. 231-240.

Alain Vaillancourt