[WEB4LIB] styleguides redux and printing question

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Apr 15 10:45:29 EDT 2005

Karen Davis wrote:

>another question:
>The design I was provided for our new site doesn't produce printable web pages because it was done in tables :-(
>
>I'm wondering how best to proceed to produce printable pages:
>
>* redo the design in css? (time-consuming)
>
>* create a separate set of printable pages? (also time-comsuming)
>
>Is there any other option I don't yet know about?

Definitely not #2 IMO.  Creating separate sets of pages inevitably leads
to discrepancies as one set gets eited and the other doesn't.

Doing a good, resolution-independent design may or may not be a big job,
depending on how convoluted your current markup is.  However, it won't
be any less time-consuming in August, or December, or the middle of next
year - so when are you going to do it?

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu