[WEB4LIB] More on Google digitization and Europe

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Apr 27 22:26:55 EDT 2005

Bernie Sloan quoted Deutsche Welle:

> "Nineteen European national libraries have joined forces against
> a planned communications revolution by Internet search giant
> Google to create a global virtual library, organizers said

If the plans for Google Print, as described in the press release,
are indeed perceived as a "communications revolution", then I must
congratulate the marketing and publicity people at Google.  Maybe
we were impressed by the engineers at Google, but the marketing
side of that firm surely is not lagging behind.

What the press release (in December) said is that ten years from
now, Google Print is going to have 15 million volumes digitized.
I believe so too, but predicting anything ten years into the
future is science fiction.  Just think where we were ten years
ago, and try even to predict the dotcom crash.  Google, founded in
1998, hasn't been around for ten years yet.

Project Gutenberg (gutenberg.org) was indeed around ten years ago,
and has a track record of doubling their collection every year.
They now have 15,000 books online, so ten years from now they
could have 15 million books, since 2 to the power of 10 is 1024.
Google Print needs only to copy and index them.  Any problems with
Project Gutenberg's textual quality so far, need only be a problem
in the oldest 15,000 e-books out of 15 million.

My own Project Runeberg (runeberg.org) was also around ten years
ago.  Its growth has been less continuous than that of PG, but we
currently have some 800 volumes of classic Scandinavian literature
online and are now doubling annually.  Doing this entirely on a
volunteer basis, we are leaving the current digitization efforts
of the national libraries in Denmark, Finland and Sweden (as
mentioned among the 19 in the Deutsche Welle article) far behind.
This could change in the course of ten years, so we limit our
predictions to a few months.  Still, why would we feel a "threat"
from Google or anybody else?  Google is our best friend. That's
how people find our books.

The only reason I can see for portraying Google (or anything
American) as a threat is that it appears to be a working solution
for attracting funding from the European Union.  Our national
libraries are far better at this than they are on digitization.

I couldn't find any news or announcements on this new European
deal on www.kb.dk, www.lib.helsinki.fi or www.kb.se.  Neither at
www.ddb.de. Bibliotheque nationale de France has a collection of
articles at http://www.bnf.fr/pages/dernmin/com_google.htm but
nothing is mentioned about the 19 country coallition.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/