[WEB4LIB] how to create a password protected forum/blog

Breakall, Scott BreakallS at chesterfield.gov
Wed Apr 27 08:47:28 EDT 2005

Petter,

If you've got some web space you can run this forum on, go to http://opensourcecms.com and click on the "CMS - Forums" link on the menu tree on the left.  This site lists nine different forums that you can download and install, and has a demo site for each.  phpBB may be the most common -- I have seen that one all over the Internet, and it's very easy to install and manage.  A solution to the problem you have posed would be to require a user to login to view or post to threads, and to restrict new user registrations -- that way only approved people could either view or contribute to the discussion.

Poke around the site and try the demos -- you can check out the front end as well as the back end (administration) of each package software.

If you don't have a server to host the forum from, check out http://ezboard.com and http://proboards.com -- each of these sites lets you set up a free forum which can be managed in a similar fashion.

BTW, I don't think Blogger currently lets you password-protect blogs.

~Scott~