[WEB4LIB] learning db programming- tips

Randy Norwood randy.norwood at ttu.edu
Thu Apr 21 12:43:24 EDT 2005

I'm partial to Perl or PHP with a MySQL database, but since you're using
Dreamweaver, you might consider another Macromedia product, Cold Fusion, for
the application layer (instead of Perl/PHP/ASP).
http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/

I had a week long training course in CF about 4 years ago, and found that
it's not my cup of tea-- I preferred not working with HTML-like tags to do
everything. But CF received a lot of positive comments from developers in a
recent Slashdot article on J2EE development,
<http://books.slashdot.org/books/05/04/20/2038246.shtml?tid=108&tid=156&tid=
6>

Whatever software you choose, try to set up a complete
database/application/website environment on your PC or laptop. It makes
development quicker and easier, and less likely to cause problems for
existing production apps on a server.