Files & Folders 101

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at manhattan.edu
Wed Apr 6 18:02:03 EDT 2005

I've been helping someone learn HTML so that he can do his own web project.

He's learned the HTML well, but is having persistent problems with the
basic understanding of the structure of information as saved in files and
folders and the difference between saving a file on his local machine
vs. FTP-ing it onto web server.

I'm not as patient as I aspire to be, and after there's only so many times
I can explain that the reason he doesn't see the change to his pages is
that the file is still on his PC and hasn't been transferred to the server,
or that it is in the wrong folder rather than the public HTML server folder
without feeling that maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.

I wonder if there's some good basic help out there, either in the form of
a web tutorial or a good (but short) book. The person who needs this uses
computers every day without a problem, so I'm not looking for something
that covers a wide range of computer topics, just issues related to
storage of information in files and folders and subfolders and local vs.
remote.  Whatever it is has to use Windows terminology, otherwise it
will be useless.

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist