[WEB4LIB] Public Internet Computers

LibraryWebmaster librarywebmaster at elmhurst.org
Tue Sep 14 18:33:06 EDT 2004

I use deepfreeze to keep everything static.  But, one of my main goals in setting up this system was to keep the desktop visable.  If a person comes here, I want it to look like home.  I want it to look like a possible future job.  We had a more locked down desktop in our previous building.  I ended up having conversations like the following.  "Well, ya know how you would have a start menu in this corner... we don't have one... but if we did, you would click here and then.... "  Patrons, I feel, learn better when they can actually USE the interface and have it act in a standard way.

We did, of course, have to lock some stuff down.  But overall, I wanted it to really FEEL like Windows XP.

All my own opinion, of course.
Catherine

=================================
Catherine E. Ingram, M.L.S.
Assistant Head of Adult Services
www.ElmhurstPublicLibrary.org
125 S. Prospect - Elmhurst, IL  60126
Catherine.Ingram at elmhurst.org
Ph:630-279-8696   Fx:630-516-1364

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." Derek Bok

>>> Connie Hudson <connie.hudson at flower-mound.com> 09/14/04 02:40PM >>>
I need to replace a program we are currently using to hide the desktop. The
program runs from Startup and presents the user with 5 buttons for the
programs we allow on our public computers. I want to replace the program,
not only because it is no longer supported, but also because it seems to be
causing more and more headaches for me and the reference staff.

We have 5 WinNT computers and 4 Win98 computers. The WinNTs have Centurion
Guard and the Win98s have Deep Freeze. Is anyone using or know of a program
similar to what I'm using (it's called Pac for Windows) that would hide the
desktop from the user and present them with a menu or buttons for programs
they can use? Are most libraries allowing the customer to see the desktop?

Thanks,
Connie

Connie Hudson, Systems Coordinator
connie.hudson at flower-mound.com
Flower Mound Public Library
3030 Broadmoor  Flower Mound, TX   75022
972-874-6161  fax 972-874-6466