Redesign timelines

Marty Jenkins martin.jenkins at wright.edu
Tue Sep 7 13:36:14 EDT 2004

Hello,
We're beginning to consider the redesign process for our whole library
website, and would like some information from colleagues who've recently
been through the process. If you've recently launched a redesigned site, or
are on the verge of doing so, would you please answer the questions below?
For context, WSU is a medium size public university (ca. 12,000 FTE) with
some doctoral programs and a medical school. Responses from all library
types gratefully accepted!

1. How long did your process take, from start to finish?
2. Did you create a detailed timeline at the beginning of the process, or
just have a goal launch date?
3. Did you launch by your original goal date?
4. At what stages of the process did you seek input from patrons and from
library staff outside the redesign group?
5. Did you do your own graphic design, or hire consultants?

Finally, has anyone out there established a regular cycle of either periodic
"paint jobs" (aesthetic redesign of pages without much change to
functionality) or full-scale redesigns? How often do you do this? Every 2
years, 3 years, annually? Or do you just wait until you decide the old site
has to go to do redesigns?

Thanks very much.
Martin Jenkins
Interim Head, Technical Services