[WEB4LIB] Re: Free and/or OA journals in librarianship

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Sep 23 17:34:15 EDT 2004

> Just within the last hour, I fielded a question that boiled down to: are
> any open access journals distributing their metadata via the OAI
> protocol for metadata harvesting.  I am not aware of that
> happening--does anyone know of movements in that direction?  DOAJ has a
> list of OA journals available via OAI-PMH, but I'm interested in
> harvesting article-level metadata.

That's interesting, because in the last week, I've had two conversations
about OAI, and I now have a formal deliverable on my plate to
explore/determine/learn enough to understand if we can share LII content via
the OAI protocol. I have questions on both ends of the equation: how we can
offer LII records for harvesting, and how, in the most practical, available
manner, an organization interested in using our content for collection
development could harvest it. I have additional questions about metadata
replenishment and expiration, as well.

I realize this is a little different than the journal-metadata question, but
not *that* different. In fact pretty close. The phrase "article-level
metadata" really caught my eye, because that is very close to what we would
be offering, in a sense.

Karen G. Schneider
Director, Librarians' Index to the Internet
http://lii.org kgs at lii.org