[WEB4LIB] Lobbying for a dedicated web server

Lois Bellamy lbellamy at utmem.edu
Fri Sep 3 14:02:43 EDT 2004

Unless your university forbids Macintosh computers, buy a Mac with OS X
10.3. It comes with Apache and php installed. Hook the Mac up to the
network and turn Web Sharing on and you have a web server. Edit the
httpd.conf file to activate php and you've got php going.  Apple has a
nice install package for MySQL that installs easily. Now you have MySQL
going. There are also a number of tutorials that can get you started if
you need them. We use Retrospect to backup the servers every night.
Retrospect is another pretty easy to use piece of software.

Well, that's my two cents. We use Macs for our web servers and like
them.

Lois Bellamy
Electronic Services Coordinator
Health Sciences Library & Biocommunications Center
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
877 Madison Ave., Rm 234
Memphis, TN 38163
901.448.5635 (voice)
901.448.7235 (fax)