[WEB4LIB] Lobbying for a dedicated web server

Norwood, Randy randy.norwood at ttu.edu
Fri Sep 3 13:47:49 EDT 2004

Andrew:

It depends on a number of considerations. Probably the most important is
whether your campus server department is comfortable using your
preferred OS, web server, database and scripting environment
(Perl/PHP/ASP/JSP). You may not have a lot of choice. For example, Texas
Tech's campus server department uses Windows '03 Server clusters and IIS
6 for almost all of the various run of the mill departmental websites
(including the library's). Their system supports PHP, and I've found it
works well with almost no changes from Linux/Apache (where our site
previously was). There's also a version of Apache for Windows.

Also, see if you can just get space on their system, rather than the
library buying a box and requiring the server department integrate it
into their environment. That will make it easier for them to maintain,
back up, repair, etc. You would be given sufficient access to the server
to maintain your site.

--
Randy Norwood
E-mail: randy.norwood at ttu.edu