[WEB4LIB] RE: Moving from HTML4.01 to XML

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Sep 22 16:48:43 EDT 2004

Drew, Bill wrote:

>I am using Dreamweaver 4.0.  I am also using templates.  I have just
>about got my template converted to XHTML.  I am wondering about IE
>though.  Will converting to XHTML cause problems in my displays?

I hope I wasn't too oblique in my reference to IE's problem.

The preferred MIME content type for XHTML is "application/xhtml+xml",
which IE fails to handle.  For XHTML 1.0, you may use "text/html", which
IE is happy to use, but more modern browsers look for the content type
to decide whether they should turn on their state of the art XML
parsers, so they'll continue to parse "text/html" documents as plain old
HTML.  In other words, IE support will require you to dumb down the
XHTML you serve, and everyone will treat it the way they currently treat
HTML.

If you weren't really counting on all the XML bells and whistles anyway,
you haven't lost anything, but that goes back to the question of why you
want to move to XHTML in the first place.

BTW, there are some implications for inline stylesheets and scripts
within XHTML.  That may be the biggest potential for syntax problems
when and if you convert.  See for example
<http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2003/xhtml-style-script/>.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu