Anti-virtual reference article

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Thu Sep 16 14:50:36 EDT 2004

OK...so it's not exactly as extreme an anti-VR article as McKinzie and
Lauer's "Virtual reference: overrated, inflated, and not real"...but it
does do a decent job of summarizing most of the complaints we've heard
about virtual reference.

Maxwell, Nancy Kalikow. The seven deadly sins of library technology:
Look carefully before you leap into online reference service. American
Libraries, 35(8), 40-42. September 2004.

There are a number of things I could quibble about, but I'm more
interested in seeing what others think.

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant, ILCSO
University of Illinois Office for Planning and Budgeting
616 E. Green Street, Suite 213
Champaign, IL  61820

Phone: (217) 333-4895
Fax:   (217) 265-0454