to X or not to X

Brian Kelly b.kelly at ukoln.ac.uk
Thu Sep 2 03:34:35 EDT 2004

> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:22:52 -0500
> From: Justin Rounds <jrounds at lib.uchicago.edu>
> To: web4lib at webjunction.org
> Subject: Re: to X or not to X
>
> Let me also point out that the very page that you are
> referring to is in
> fact valid XHTML -- and strict 1.0 no less!
>
> Not to mention the prominent "CSS Sucks" graphic on a page that is in
> fact judiciously using CSS.
>
> IMHO "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", so if your site works fine as
> HTML4.01 by all means leave it be -- but I would recommend
> any new pages
> be built using XHTML (if only to support the evolution of standards).
> However, if you're determined to recode all your pages then
> take a look
> at HTML Tidy (http://tidy.sourceforge.net/) which supposedly
> can convert
> HTML to XHTML automatically.
>
> I'm curious what the real benefits are from moving to Strict from
> Transitional though -- any thoughts/experiences anyone?
>
> BTW, CSS most certainly does not "suck". :)

Note that a strict interpretation of the WAI WCAG 1.0 guidelines would
indicate that you MUST use XHTML 1.0 if you intent to comply with WAI AA
guidelines. See

<http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/>

 Checkpoints:

  11.1 Use W3C technologies when they are available and appropriate for a
task and use the latest versions when supported. [Priority 2]

Note that I personally think it is unfortunate that the WAI WCAG guidelines
mandate this.

(I approeciate that the word 'appropriate' could be interpreted as a get-out
- but I would argue that XHTML is appropriate for the task of document
markup).

Brian

Brian Kelly
UKOLN