[WEB4LIB] RE: Reporting Web usage: what numbers do you use?

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Tue Oct 26 12:12:04 EDT 2004

Lori,

  All of our PCs have a unique ip address.  Though, all PCs in the
library end in library.appstate.edu which would be easy to pull stats
from.  In fact all public PCs begin with set of letters and a unique
number like abc123.library.appstate.edu, abc246.library.appstate.edu,
etc.  So public PC data could be pulled from the log file for specific
data.  The rest of campus is simliar for instance xxx.cob.appstate.edu
(College of Business) where xxx is a name or number.

  There is a catch with your awstats and unique vistor but probably not
enough to really skew the results.  Say I have a dialup connection and I
connect with a.b.c.d and disconnect in 30 minutes.  Someone else
connects after I disconnect and gets a.b.c.d.  If both of us went to
your WEB site then the second vistor would not appear unique if I read
your email correctly.

Thomas