[WEB4LIB] RE: Reporting Web usage: what numbers do you use?

Houghton, Sarah SHoughton at co.marin.ca.us
Wed Oct 27 12:29:25 EDT 2004

Unfortunately, I am not the Web Trends administrator.  Our website is part of the County's website since we are a County library system.  Working within this confining structure brings its own challenges and problems, some of which I'm speaking about during the Webmasters Roundtable at the Internet Librarian Conference next month.  But that's a discussion for another day...

I can see the top 200 pages, which I read through each month.  I just report the top ten to our staff (for statistics digestability).  As you suggest, the reason for the administrator (someone in the County's Information Services & Technology Department) choosing to only show 200 is not to drain system resources.

As for hits vs. visits, I think that hits have their own problems.  At least with our system, hits count not only hits on actual pages (.cfm, .html, .asp) but any file request: images, video & audio files, etc.  Because many of our pages are complicated and loaded with multiple files, a single web page view can result in dozens of hits.  As such, a view of our homepage (http://www.co.marin.ca.us/library) would result in about two dozen hits, while a view of our "Ask Us" page (http://www.co.marin.ca.us/library/ask.cfm) only results in about 4 hits.  So, even though visits have their own problems, to me, they at least show a more representative measure of activity on our site.  Hits are good for showing the load on the server, but for measuring site activity, I'll take visits any day.

Sarah Houghton