[WEB4LIB] Reporting Web usage: what numbers do you use?

Houghton, Sarah SHoughton at co.marin.ca.us
Mon Oct 25 14:54:59 EDT 2004

I run the Marin County Free Library website (http://co.marin.ca.us/library), and we use WebTrends as our stat-source.  There is so much data available to me through this system, but what I report to staff in a two-page report each month includes:

# of visits (including average # of visits per day)
# of unique visitors (including a break-down of one-time vs. repeat visitors)
# top ten viewed pages by # of visits (would love to expand this to report more)
visits of weekdays vs. on weekend days
top 5 referring sites
top 10 search engines used to find us
top 10 search phrases people use to find us

I also include other interesting tidbits as I come across them in the reports (e.g. geographic distribution of our visitors, # of times our online forms have been used, the # of oral history clips listened to, if there were any server problems, etc.).

Good luck!
Sarah Houghton
e-Services Librarian, Marin County Free Library
AKA The Librarian in Black (http://www.librarianinblack.net)