[WEB4LIB] Coping with Complaints about the Website: Balancing Responsiveness to an Individual User with Honoring the Results of a Usability Test

Grace Agnew gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Oct 11 13:56:15 EDT 2004

Chris,

If you don't already have them, you organization may want to establish
web site policies and procedures, including how often you do a major
revision of the website,  how often you do usability studies, what
circumstances can prompt a major website change between development
cycles (such as new federal guidelines for usability, more than X number
of complaints from distinct users, etc.), and what changes require a new
usability study, even a study focused to just that page.  This will help
you establish parameters for responding to faculty suggestions.

I also suggest publishing a summary of the findings from your usability
tests, in which you discuss methodology and sampling, the major
revisions that were recommended and implemented and the suggested
changes you did not implement, and why.  I would also note when the next
revision/usability study is expected.  If your faculty member's change
does not meet your standard for between cycle revisions, I would point
the faculty member to the revision summary, thank him for his input and
state that it will be taken into account in the next usability study.

Not everyone is satisfied that their needs can't be immediately met, but
I have found generally that if you can demonstrate that you take
feedback seriously and are responsive to users, most people are
satisfied.  A good overview of the usability and revision process also
demonstrates that changes to websites are a complex and time consuming
business--that a change to one page affects many; that a change to serve
one user group may be less friendly to another, etc.  Many people have
created small websites and aren't aware of the complexities involved.  I
have found they are pretty understanding when you provide an analysis.
They also want to see you are responsive, particularly if they
participated in the usability study.

Grace