[WEB4LIB] Blogging Conferences

Joshua Ferraro jmf at kados.org
Fri Oct 8 13:57:10 EDT 2004

Hi Andrew,

First of all, great idea!

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:10:16AM -0700, Andrew Mutch wrote:
> With that in mind, I'm exploring how to facilitate this kind of reporting
> from our state's annual library association conference which is coming up at
> the end of the month. What I had in mind is using our technology unit's web
> site as a jumping off point for links to blog entries on the various
> sessions. During the conference itself, it probably would be easiest just to
> create links directly to the blogs for anyone who plans on reporting from
> the conference. Afterwards, we could pull out the links to the specific
> sessions and add those to a listing of the conference program so you could
> read the posts specifically related to a session.
>
> Among the questions I have include:
>
> * Has anyone at the state or regional/national level tried to organize or
> formalize this process? If so, how did you do that and how well did it work?
Not that I know of

> * If you are a blogger, would you be open to the idea of having a formal
> link either during or after the conference to your blog to capture your
> impressions about a session, speaker or topic?
Yep.  Though I'd probably recommend an RSS feed rather than a 'link' (not
sure know what you mean by that).  Most decent blogging software allows
"branching" feeds for specific topics so each blogger would have to set up
a seperate feed for conference reports and then place the conference blogs
in that category so they can be syndicated apart from the rest of the blog.

> * If you are a blogger, what do you need at a conference site to facilitate
> your blogging at a session or after?
I need SSH so I can access my blogging server securely.

> * Are there currently any sites that provide links to the various library
> conference presentations? If not, is that a resource that people would be
> interested in seeing? Myself personally, I would love to be able to quickly
> review presentations from conferences like ALA, PLA, LITA, CIL, Internet
> Librarian, etc. If blog comments could be added to such a resource, I think
> it would be even better.
I'd love to see a resource like that.  I'd recommend that you contact the
WebJunction folks (http://webjunction.org)--that sounds like a great
feature request.

Joshua Ferraro
http://kados.org