[WEB4LIB] Re: weaning staff from email to weblog

Houghton, Sarah SHoughton at co.marin.ca.us
Wed Nov 10 13:44:24 EST 2004

Hi all.

I completely agree with Karen.  I have found that many staff dislike online bulletin boards or blogs because of the lack of notification.  It's one more place to go, one more thing to check.  RSS feeds (especially for the comments) could fix this, if people were comfortable with aggregator software.  If you do decide to go with RSS, I would suggest planning to teach the staff about RSS & feeds, highlighting the fun & personal uses (getting Dilbert, Salon.com, and NPR posts delivered to them).  Then ease them into the work-related aspects of RSS.

I would add one more warning about a discussion board.  Many libraries are subject to public records laws, and as I understand it (& as our County's policy states), any correspondence we create (e-mail, voicemail, etc.) can be requested by a member of the public at any time.  E-mail and voicemail can be and often are deleted, but a permanently archived blog or bulletin board could pose a bit more of a problem.  I'm envisioning some discussion thread about what to do with problem patrons, and some member of the public requests this document, and someone said something not-nice, or mentions a specific patron...

Sarah Houghton
e-Services Librarian, Marin County Free Library