Invitation to help build the National Science Digital Library Collection

John M. Saylor jms1 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 10 07:28:05 EST 2004

Library Colleagues- The National Science Digital Library(NSDL)
Program  was launched by the National Science Foundation in 2000 to
establish an online library of resources for science, technology ,
engineering , and mathematics (STEM) education and research. Access
to aggregated collections and services began in December 2002 with
the opening of the NSDL.org  web site (http://nsdl.org)

As part of a phased approach to extend the width and depth of the
STEM resources in the NSDL we are now looking for approximately  50
volunteers in the subject areas listed below to recommend resources
for inclusion in the NSDL collection. We have developed an automated
system called the NSDL Resource Recommendation System (RRS) that is a
simple process by which an authorized selector to identifies a
resource with a URL, initiates an automated metadata generation
process, has the opportunity to edit and augment the metadata if
necessary, and then submits it for inclusion in the NSDL.

If you are a librarian interested in contributing to this effort to
recommend resources  for inclusion in the NSDL. Please contact me. I
will respond with some additional background, explain the criteria,
and get you going with the system.  I will be sending this invitation
to several library lists - this is the first.

Thank you so much for your consideration and support.

Subject Areas that need selectors:

Education (General)

      Instructional issues
      Careers

  Technology

      Educational technology
      Educational media
      Integrating technology into the classroom
      Multimedia education
      Technology planning

  Health

      Aging
      Body systems and senses
      Environmental health
      Human sexuality
      Nutrition

  Mathematics

      Algebra
      Applied mathematics
      Arithmetic
      Calculus
      Discrete mathematics
      Functions
      Geometry
      Measurement
      Number sense
      Number theory
      Patterns
      Probability
      Statistics
      Trigonometry

  Science

      Agriculture - already have one person- need one more
      Astronomy
      Biological and life sciences
      Biology
      Botany
      Chemistry
      Computer science
      Earth science
      Ecology
      Embryology
      Engineering  - already have one person- need one more
      Entomology
      General science
      Geology
      Histology
      History of science
      Metallurgy
      Meteorology
      Natural history
      Oceanography
      Paleontology
      Pharmacology
      Physical sciences
      Physics  - already have one person- need one more
      Space sciences

  Social studies

      Anthropology
      Economics