[WEB4LIB] RE: marketing, lobbying, and vendors

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Mon Nov 22 10:27:29 EST 2004

>>> "Dobbs, Aaron" <DobbsA at apsu.edu> 11/20/04 05:19PM >>>

>Straw poll alert: How many of us (web4libbers) actually have positions
>that rewire even 1/4 time service in public areas?

My job is fully integrated with public service--up to 60% of my work week, in many cases (which makes it hard to get other stuff done!).  However, the major 'tech' decisions are made in cooperation with several other groups--library admin, technical services and the city's IT dept--and they have less daily contact with the real 'public'.  I've worked to build up a good relationship with these groups, so that when I say "our patrons are wanting X and I think we should give it to them", they know that I'm saying this from a position of frequent contact with the public, but also with an understanding of what is and is not possible technologically.  My position was fairly rare when I was first hired in the mid-90's, and over the years I've had several library directors tell me they wish they "had one librarian like you" in their libraries.  So hire them already!  I'm not particularly unique.  I'm now seeing more positions similar to the one I've created here, but I think we could do better.  There are plenty of young, eager, tech-savvy types out there who also have a strong sense of public service--a unique blend we should take advantage of!

My 2 cents,
Louise

Louise E. Alcorn     --    Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library
4000 Mills Civic Pkwy
West Des Moines IA 50265
(515) 222-3573      louise.alcorn at wdm-ia.com