Google Scholar -- OCLC permits unmediated patron ILLs

peterson, glenn gpeterson at hclib.org
Fri Nov 19 15:25:30 EST 2004

We discovered today that patrons at library workstations can submit
unmediated ILLs for book titles they locate in Google Scholar. We
subscribe to FirstSearch using IP recognition and OCLC is recognizing
the IP address of our firewall and displaying a "Request item" link
(along with links to our library catalog) that allows an ILL request to
be placed.

Others may find themselves in the same situation. I have contacted OCLC
support and they are investigating.

Glenn Peterson                gpeterson at hclib.org
Web Administrator             http://www.hclib.org
Hennepin County Library     voice: 952-847-8659
12601 Ridgedale Drive           fax: 952-847-8642
Minnetonka, MN 55305