[WEB4LIB] RE: Chronicle article: Google Unveils a Search Engine Focused on Scholarly Materials

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Fri Nov 19 10:32:10 EST 2004

Karen,

I think this goes to show that Google Scholar (or anything else, for
that matter) vs. native search interfaces shouldn't be viewed as an
either/or issue.  It's definitely a case of using the right tool for the
right job.

Much like you wouldn't use dynamite to carve a replica of
Michaelangelo's "David", you might use it to blast the quarry to get the
marble.

This is a somewhat bad analogy, I realize, because you don't have the
same person doing both of the above tasks, but a person's preliminary
scan of what's out there on a topic may lead to much more refined
searching later.

What we need to do is be able to offer both alternatives, seamlessly and
intuitively.

-Ross.