[WEB4LIB] RE: Software to Access RSS feeds in e-journal database

Joseph Murphy murphyjm at kenyon.edu
Thu Nov 4 17:05:04 EST 2004

We're very interested in encouraging our community to use RSS feeds...
and one of the ways I plan to do that is to openly advocate against
stand-alone aggregator applications. I just can't justify throwing
another app at my users, and all the overhead that entails. This is,
after all, basically a gateway to Web information, so it seems logical
to integrate it into the user's existing Web activity.

(That's a high-concept way of saying "downloaded NetNewsWire Lite,
spent some time messing with it, it didn't fit into my regular routine
so I never opened it again, expect my faculty would do the same.")

I can see an online aggregator like Bloglines being a really good
option, especially in multi-user (or mobile user) environments. For
myself, though, I'm getting a lot more use out of the RSS Bookmarks
("Live Bookmarks") in Firefox. You only get the headlines, but that's
enough to tell me whether I want to load the whole site. I only watch
feeds I really care about, and I check them 2 or 3 times a day.

Supposedly, a similar ability will be built into Safari when 10.4 comes
out; I'd have to assume this option in Firefox will eventually leap
into Mozilla. I expect the Big Blue E won't want to be too far behind.

Joe Murphy
Librarian and Technology Consultant
Library and Information Services
Kenyon College