[WEB4LIB] RE: Software to Access RSS feeds in e-journal database

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Nov 4 16:37:07 EST 2004

> A quick question - for those of you adding this kind of RSS feeds to staff
> pages, which feed(s) do you use? I could see the value of something
> library-related or a local news site. But I can also see people fighting
> over the feeds like a TV remote control. Any suggestions? The script Peter
> is using makes this look like a super-easy way to add some useful content
> to our staff resources page.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Andrew Mutch

Andrew, libraries overwhelmingly add the LII feed to their Web pages, of
course.  I say that with a wink. Still, there is a great use of the LII feed
on the Yorba Linda Public Library website:

http://www.ylpl.lib.ca.us/

We actually have two feeds, one General/California, one Washington State. We
hope to offer topical and roll-your-own feeds on our new site, debuting
early next year.

Practically speaking, you can't offer too much or your page will be
overwhelming. But other feeds to consider might include local newspapers
(presumably you only have one with a feed, if that), or Reuters/NYTimes,
local weather, book review or literary sites for your book club page, or
fire up a resident chatty cathy and have her blog a pastiche of entries two
or three times a day. However, the nice thing about pulling in other folks'
feeds is they already done da work.

I don't think you want stuff about librarianship on the public page, but if
it's useful stuff about your library, the blog+feed is a great way to do it.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at lii.org