[WEB4LIB] RE: Yahoo-OCLC toolbar

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Wed Nov 17 21:20:03 EST 2004

As I said in the section you didn't excerpt, criticism may well be due for
deploying and publicizing it too early.  Since this service will be used far
more in its final state after the initial crawl than it will be in the next
month and since most of the announcements made it clear that the data is
still incomplete, I don't think it's asking too much to wait before making
judgments based on the data. My opinion, feel free to criticize it.

What I really want people to do is act, not just criticize. You can opt out,
you can get searching working for your library, you can convey to OCLC that
they've gone too far in protecting their data and eliminated some important
search options. And you can commend them for making an effort, albeit a
flawed effort, to increase the visibility of libraries at a time when we
need it. If I can  get any of those things done, either by encouraging
someone or by pissing somebody off, it was a good post. And since the
moderator is probably going to tell me to stop this thread, I will now.

   - Jim Campbell
   E-mail: campbell at virginia.edu