[WEB4LIB] Ejournals and subjects

Tim Bucknall BUCKNALL Tim_Bucknall at uncg.edu
Tue Nov 30 09:32:51 EST 2004

We have a homegrown link resolver and knowledge base at the University of
North Carolina at Greensboro. In it, we created subject divisions that
correspond to the academic departments on our campus. We also added a few
subjects for which UNCG does not offer degrees - Medicine, Engineering,
General, Trade Publications - because there were so many journals in those
areas.

This method of organizing is obviously great for accreditation purposes
because it makes it so easy to see which journals we have for each
department. On the other hand, having such broad subject areas means that
some of the lists have grown to the point that they are somewhat unwieldy.
We could make the lists shorter by creating more specific subject headings
or sub-headings within each department, but my experience at the Reference
Desk and some usability testing of Journal Finder lead me to believe that
would be a mistake. Here's why-

It is extremely rare that patrons really want a list of journals relating
to a particular topic. When patrons want journal literature on a certain
subject, at least 90% of the time they really ought to be looking in
article indexes, not in a subject listing of journal titles. For example,
a patron wanting journal literature on "cancer treatment" should be
looking in Medline, not in a list of journal titles that list that as a
subject heading.

When you make a prominent "subject" link in your list of journal titles
and when you make those subjects fairly specific and searchable, then my
usage data and usabilty testing shows that it hurts more folks than it
helps. In other words, you get LOTS of folks innappropriately searching
your journal title subjects for "cancer treatment" or "Maya Angelou" or
"IBM and product innovation" some other article topic and, of course,
getting no results.

So, in Journal Finder we relegate the subject listing to the "Advanced
Search" page. Few people use it, but few people are misled by what it
does.

You can take a look by clicking on the "Advanced Search" link from
http://journalfinder.uncg.edu/uncg

Larry Campbell <larry.campbell at ubc.ca>
Sent by: web4lib at webjunction.org
11/29/2004 05:26 PM
Please respond to
larry.campbell at ubc.ca

Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
cc

Subject
[WEB4LIB] Ejournals and subjects

Hi all.

I'm interested in the subject-, topic-, or discipline-based
categorization of ejournal titles, and hoping to get some information
about practices at different libraries. I'd appreciate any details re:
- do you provide such subject access for ejournal titles at all?
- if so, what is the basis for determining the subject categories:
   -- LC or Dewey classification?
   -- LC, Me or other Subject Headings?
   -- Academic disciplines (how defined?)?
   -- Other (what?)?

Thanks for any help at all -- reply to me personally, and I'd be happy
to summarize for the list if anyone is interested.

Larry Campbell
Librarian, Information Technology Services
UBC Library
Email: larry.campbell at ubc.ca
Telephone: (604) 822-2076