Nomadicity

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Mon Nov 29 16:04:06 EST 2004

Just ran across a term I hadn't heard before: "nomadicity".

An Educause report defines it as:

"There is actually a name to describe the plethora of devices and
technological convergence of this shifting landscape - nomadicity.
Nomadicity, a term coined in several articles, means the consumer -
really our community of users - is basically now in charge of how, when,
and to what they want to be connected. This phenomenon stems not only
from a multiplicity of devices, but also from the immediacy that the
Internet itself has facilitated."

EDUCAUSE Evolving Technologies Committee. Of Nomadicity, Expectations,
Campus IT
Infrastructure and, Oh Yes, Budget. September 2004.
http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/DEC0404.pdf

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant, ILCSO
University of Illinois Office for Planning and Budgeting
616 E. Green Street, Suite 213
Champaign, IL  61820

Phone: (217) 333-4895
Fax:   (217) 265-0454