[WEB4LIB] Re: Overlap analysis of online journals

Peter McCracken peter at serialssolutions.com
Thu Nov 25 17:22:45 EST 2004

I'd like to follow up on Tim's comments regarding overlap analysis tools,
particularly Serials Solutions' offering. Yes, these tools must be used with
care: in my opinion it's unfair to penalize one vendor for providing the
same title as another vendor, but if you've got multiple databases from a
single vendor, comparisons among those databases can quickly identify
database dollars that may not be put to their most efficient use. In those
cases, coverage dates for any given title are almost always identical among
any individual vendor's multiple databases.

Regarding variations in dates among titles, Tim makes some valuable points.
As he points out, most comparison tools, including Serials Solutions'
original Overlap Analysis tool, included title level comparisons only. Using
what we learned from that version, and feedback from many of our customers,
the second version of our overlap tool included full date discrimination.
That means our clients know when they have full overlap for a journal (that
is, coverage dates overlap completely), when they have partial overlap (only
portions of the journal coverage overlap), when they have overlapping title
coverage but no overlap in coverage dates, and when a journal is completely
unique to a database. The tool lets you easily rank your databases by either
unique content percentage or full overlap percentage, and then drill down to
see which specific journals fall into each set.

A few other key points:

1. The feature uses data from our title authority database in order to make
title level comparisons. This means you've always got an "apples to apples"
comparison at the title level, even when competing vendors send different
title variations.

2. Coverage dates are fully normalized and embargo dates accounted for
within the comparison process. That means even dates such as "Spring 1997"
as a start date or "to 6 months ago" as an end date are accurately used in
the comparison. (This normalization is also critical for accurate date
discrimination in OpenURL results sets.)

3. You can compare any combination of databases that you want (up to a
maximum of 300 *databases* per query). Comparing one database to another
outside the context of your entire collection would be less relevant than
comparing them all at once. But this also means you can compare the coverage
of a database to your collection before buying it, not just after.

Feedback from clients tells us that this tool has been extremely helpful in
making collection development decisions. Is overlapping coverage the only
criteria that you should use? Of course not; we would never argue otherwise.

But not knowing this information means a library would not have all relevant
information about their subscriptions before making an acquisition decision
to purchase or cancel a resource. Serials budgets are under constant
pressure, and libraries have already told us they've used this tool to
identify and cancel those databases that were not giving them enough value,
confident in the knowledge that they knew exactly which percentage of unique
content they were giving up, and how much overlapping content remained in
the collection. Having that knowledge is a critical part of an intelligent
decision-making process.

Peter McCracken, MLS
Serials Solutions
444 NE Ravenna Blvd, Suite 211
Seattle, WA  98115
(206) 545-9056 ext.17  //  (866) SERIALS ext. 17
fax: (206) 525-9066  //  peter at serialssolutions.com