Open WorldCat and Google Scholar

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Thu Nov 18 09:24:34 EST 2004

I know I said I'd stop but this is (almost) purely informational: Open
WorldCat is integrated into Google Scholar, as is Google's partnership with
CrossRef to locate journal articles. If, as is likely, Google Scholar proves
popular, it will make it particularly important for academic libraries to
provide deep linking from Open WorldCat to local opacs

The Crossref links also suggest that libraries should check to be sure their
journal suppliers have a library brand on their pages. Users who go straight
from Google to an article in a Blackwell journal will otherwise have no way
of knowing that the article isn't some free thing they happened to luck
into. Unfortunately, most journal providers seem to default to the name of
the college or university as the brand, though they're usually willing to
change it to the library name on request.

FAQ on Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/scholar/about.html
CrossRef and Google: http://www.crossref.org/crossrefsearch.html

- Jim Campbell
Campbell at Virginia.edu