[WEB4LIB] Mozilla RDF / Z39.50 Integration Project

David Dorman dorman at indexdata.com
Sun Nov 14 10:28:00 EST 2004

At 12:20 PM 11/11/2004, Ross Singer wrote:
>I ran across this while trying out Microsoft's new search service
>(http://beta.search.msn.com/):
>
>http://www.mozilla.org/rdf/doc/z3950.html
>
>Does anybody know anything about this project?  It has the potential for
>being massively cool (I mean, if you find Z39.50 even remotely cool) or
>a completely worthless extremely niche product that has little value to
>anybody.
>
>What is the status of this thing?  What is the expectation of it?  I
>realize there are "Aims" on this page, but what would be a real-world
>application of this?  What are some potential "killer apps"?
>
>-Ross.

Ross,

This project is not active.  Yes, it is a very cool idea, but unfortunately
the initial efforts generated little interest and no concrete support,
which the project would need in order to be realized.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about the value and continued usefulness
of Z39.50 in today's Web environment.  The semantic aspects of the standard
represent a valuable contribution to modern librarianship and should
continue to be used for standardizing the searching and indexing of
bibliographic databases.  And they could be extended to encompass other
types of metadata as well.

However, the excellent semantic standards of Z39.50 are embedded within
encoding conventions which the library community has never fully
embraced.  For the last few years, there has been an effort to preserve the
superb intellectual work that went into defining the semantics of Z39.50 by
porting them over into the XML-based environment of Web services.  This
initiative, known as ZING, is alive and well.

The Mozilla RDF/Z39.50 Integration Project is an ambitious offshoot of the
ZING initiative.  My guess is that it was initiated too early to garner the
support necessary for its success.  Few people have yet to experience the
power of Z39.50 semantics in a Web environment, and fewer yet
appreciate--or even understand--the potential benefits of the Resource
Description Framework (RDF).

However, Z39.50 is gradually being ported over to the XML-based technology
of Web services. The YAZ programmer's toolkit, which has been used to build
from one-half to two-thirds of all Z39.50 client and server applications
around the world, and which the Mozilla RDF Integration Project is slated
to use (if the project ever gets off the ground), has already been upgraded
to bring it into the world of Web services.  YAZ supports the Search and
Retrieve URL Service (SRU) and the Search/Retrieve Web Service (SRW), which
together enable Z3950 calls to be made from within XML-based Web services
without requiring the developer to delve into the arcane and
little-understood mechanics of Z39.50.

SRU/SRW functionality has already allowed libraries and vendors to build
Z3.50 servers that can retrieve MARC records and convert them on the fly to
MARCXML, from which they can be sent through XSLT style sheets to be
displayed in any way a library requires.  Thanks to newly enhanced tools
such as YAZ, libraries can now look forward to automatically re-purposing
their catalog records for such Web-based uses as current awareness lists,
subject guides, and course syllabi.

Just as catalogers are beginning to realize that the decades of
intellectual work that went into AACR, AACR2 and more specialized
cataloging standards such as LCSH, ISSN, etc. can be ported over from MARC
to XML, so people who design search and retrieval (S&R) systems are now
realizing that the intellectual work that went into Z39.50 can be ported
over to XML as well.

When ZING services begin to be widely deployed, more librarians will
recognize that Z39.50 is not dead, but has just needed a face lift.  When
that happens, then maybe there will be more recognition that the Mozilla
RDF Integration Project deserves widespread support.  Until then, it waits
in limbo.

David

David Dorman
US Marketing Manager, Index Data