[WEB4LIB] Firefox 0.9 hits the street--or why you should swit ch!

Abramson, Alicia aabramson at ci.berkeley.ca.us
Tue Jun 29 17:20:00 EDT 2004

Unfortunately, one of the things Firefox developers didn't concentrate on is
migrating bookmarks, extensions & other profile data from version 0.8!
Found
this out the hard way, though as long as you uninstall 0.9 and reinstall
0.8,
everything comes back.  I'm waiting for them to address this problem before
re-upgrading.

Other than that, I think Firefox is a far superior browser to IE (for
Windows
shops) and will be working on migrating our library over the next several
months.  If anyone needs a reason to dump IE now, here are a few resources
take a look at [I was recently hit at home with Look2Me adware and that has
pretty much driven me over the edge with IE!]:

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/249

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=117316298&eid=-255

http://channels.lockergnome.com/news/archives/20040615_why_you_should_dump_i
nternet_explorer.phtml

Alicia Abramson

Alicia Abramson
Manager, Information Technology
Berkeley Public Library
2090 Kittredge St.
Berkeley, CA 94704
510-981-6131
aabramson at ci.berkeley.ca.us

>>> Thomas Dowling 06/15/04 07:41AM >>>
For your downloading, uninstalling, and reinstalling pleasure, Mozilla
has released Firefox 0.9.  A big emphasis in this release is migrating
IE data, including favorites, passwords, cookies, etc.

Download:
<http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>

Release notes:
<http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/>

Make sure to get the Link toolbar extension too :-)
<http://cdn.mozdev.org/linkToolbar/>

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu