[WEB4LIB] Re: Ampersands in database URLs problem

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Wed Jun 9 11:43:08 EDT 2004

When you say that "the URL works", you are basing that assertion on
the fact that the limited number of browsers you have tested your web
pages on have successfully guessed what your incorrect HTML means.
When your HTML validates to a standard, you know that any software
that can read correct HTML will be able to correctly deal with
yours. That will include things like re-writing proxy servers,
semantic web indexing engines, adult content filters, WAP converters,
automatic translation engines... shall I go on?

There is now downside to standards compliance as far as HTML is concerned!

Eric

--

Eric Hellman, President                            Openly Informatics, Inc.
eric at openly.com                                    2 Broad St., 2nd Floor