[WEB4LIB] Re: Firefox 0.9 hits the street--or why you should swit

Binkley, Peter Peter.Binkley at ualberta.ca
Wed Jun 30 14:31:00 EDT 2004

There's an upgrade tutorial in the Mozillazine forums that worked for me.
The forums are down at the moment but you can get it in the Google cache:

http://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+upgrade+tutorial&sourceid=firefox&sta
rt=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Click the cache link on the first hit.

Or, the steps are:

[quote]

Step 1: Backup your profile.
Click on Start -> Run. Enter %APPDATA%
This should open up windows explorer to "C:\Documents and
Settings\xxx\Application Data"
Click on Tools -> Folder Options, and ensure you can view hidden folders
Your profile is in the 'phoenix' directory.

Step 2: Uninstall Firefox 0.8
Important! Do not skip this step
Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Add / Remove Program. Remove firefox 0.8
If you installed manually, delete the folder containing firefox.exe

Step 3: Install Firefox 0.9
Double click the installer.
Choose default settings

Step 4:Import settings from Firefox 0.8
If firefox was your default browser, your settings will be auto-imported.
If not, you need to copy files from your old profile to the new one.

bookmarks.html // bookmarks
user.js and prefs.js // preferences
cookies.text and cookperm.txt (or hostperm.1) // cookies
signon.txt and key3.db // passwords

Your new profile is at %APPDATA%/mozilla/firefox

[end of quote]

Peter

Peter Binkley
Digital Initiatives Technology Librarian
Information Technology Services
4-30 Cameron Library
University of Alberta Libraries
Edmonton, Alberta