web services server suggestions

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Jul 14 12:00:11 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I have a few servers that I need to add to my network that will be
handling basic web-oriented services like WindowsUpdates and intranets
as well as some other services like DNS and DHCP. In the past, I've used
retired boxes to run these services. However, I'm fortunate enough to
have some money to go out and buy some dedicated server boxes for these
uses. Also, some of these servers will be taking on some roles where
reliability and uptime will be of paramount concern and I don't want to
rely on second-hand boxes for those uses. These servers will be running
a mix of Linux and Windows 2000/2003 Server and probably won't be doing
any major database processing.

I'm looking for suggestions for server hardware that people have been
happy with in these kinds of roles. The preference would be for a
rack-mounted box.

This Dell box:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=pe750&s=bsd

looks like it would be happy handling web services and the price is
nice. We've also used Compaq at the Township and have been happy with
their servers. Anyone have any other recommendations or warnings they
would like to share?

Thank you!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician