[WEB4LIB] Re: The Future

Jennifer Heise jahb at lehigh.edu
Fri Jul 30 09:37:50 EDT 2004

Drew, Bill wrote:
>  What about the Future as far as the web is concerned?  It looks to me as
> though web services will be the next big thing for libraries in things
> related to the web. As far as multiple monitors, that is not new and is of
> real little importance.  What other web related technology trends are there?

In the past, we've talked a lot about customization and about
aggregating services and/or linking our services. I think this is
finally beginning to catch on.

Electronic information services offered outside the building is finally
taking hold in public libraries.

I think that a lot of patrons would be very happy to see Amazon-like
additions to their catalogs-- reviews, and 'if you like this'
references.  Both public libraries and academic libraries may start to
lure their patrons with email alerts such as Borders and Barnes & Noble
do now.
/   Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Email: jahb at lehigh.edu
\ \ Lehigh Library & Technology Services, Phone: (610) 758-3072
   / Fairchild-Martindale Library, 8A Packer Ave, Bethlehem PA 18015

"Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard