[WEB4LIB] Re: Web Computer Lockdown

Chris Murphy chrism at thecommunitylibrary.org
Thu Jul 29 10:58:46 EDT 2004

Andrew,

Correct me if I'm guessing incorrectly, but if you need to prohibit
users from accessing the web through the Explorer menu's View>Go To>Home
Page or Help dialogues, the ManageIE utility from TeamSoftware Solutions
(http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com) works very well, especially when
using PWB.

If you are reluctant to use PWB as a shell because you need to fire up
applications, perhaps using one of the constructs to start apps from a
web link might work. I've seen suggestions for using Javascript, Windows
Scripting Host, etc. I personally use the golden oldie, W3Launch. I have
several implementations around the library in which PWB runs as the
shell and I use hyperlinks to access applications ranging from MS Office
to multimedia DVDs.

Perhaps using a third party shell to replace Explorer.exe might work. I
have not tried this approach, but an alternate shell might give you the
options you need. Explorer.exe is kind of a bear to manage in a public
library setting.

Regards,

Chris Murphy

--