[WEB4LIB] Re: "check shelves"

Genny Engel gengel at sonoma.lib.ca.us
Mon Jul 19 02:29:03 EDT 2004

We use "checked in."  It is a statement of fact -- the thing was checked
in.  Whether someone then stole it or is currently reading it at a table
in the library, the fact remains that the last thing we know about it
was it got checked in.

Genny Engel
Internet Librarian
Sonoma County Library
gengel at sonoma.lib.ca.us
707 545-0831 x581
>>> "K.G. Schneider" <kgs at bluehighways.com> 07/18/04 10:52 AM >>>
> > CHECK SHELVES
>
> The trend of thinking, at least in the three times I've been in
> discussions about an on-stacks status code (present employer
excluded),
> is that "Available" makes a promise that the patron will find the item
> on the stacks.  "Check Shelves" is a weaker social contract that the
> patron will likely find the item on the shelves, but we can't promise
> it (it may be on in a reshelving area, on a reading table, misshelved,
> etc.).
>
> (By the way, my current employer uses the phrase "Not Checked Out",
> which is more of a statement of fact rather than a suggestion as to
its
> availability.)

Yes, it was rather a pop-off to bring this up without explaining that I
too
have participated in these discussions, of a day, and that the farther I
get
from working with ILS's the odder some of these discussions and
decisions
seem I understand about the weaker social contract, etc.... been there,
done
that, got the t-shirt.

I just feel that "Check Shelves" is more than a tad wishy-washy and (as
family member said yesterday) very irritating if you're using the
catalog
from home, or even quite frankly from inside the library.  I also don't
like
using an imperative, at least not with users. I have never been an
advocate
of "Available," at least with respect to books, but in many situations
when
I'm using an OPAC, "Check Shelves" might as well be "Touch Your Toes and
Pray."

"Probably available, give 'er a go" is what we really mean, except in
those
cases where we mean "Who Knows" or "Not My Problem" or "Dream On."

I think "Not Checked Out" is truthful, and hedges the bet nicely,
without
suggesting too much or bossing around the user with meaningless
imperatives
(since we appear to be agreed that we aren't truly able to say if the
book
is "available").

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com