Non-free metasearches Re: [WEB4LIB] Re: [Fwd: Google, libraries, and privacy]

Jennifer A. Heise jahb at lehigh.edu
Tue Dec 21 11:07:56 EST 2004

>I know we don't like to think in
>those terms because we're librarians, but that is how it is. To answer a
>question asked elsewhere (on the blog, It's All Good), no, Schoogle is not
>all good. I'm not ready to call it a Tool of Satan, but to the extent that
>stakeholders may see cheap'n'easy answers to far more nuanced questions (how
>do we provide databases to users? Point them at Schoogle!), our antennae
>should be wriggling.

Seems to me that the librarian mailing list community has a pretty good
hold on the Google Scholar As Competition To Our Services. And it's
definitely considered in major competition to our academic database
resources.

What I find interesting is that other multisearch databases that we pay
for-- such as ELSEVIER SCIENCE DIRECT don't seem to be subject to the
same level of scrutiny. Our librarians are enabling and encouraging our
faculty in doing gonzo searching in massive ejournal collections without
reasonable subject searching or nuanced  questions... and the database
encourages our faculty, grad students, etc. to demand extortionate
journal subscriptions.

Do we need to address the gonzo search directly? And if so, shouldn't we
address the one that costs us money first?

-- Jenne Heise