[WEB4LIB] Security Summary for 2004: The year of phishing,

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Thu Dec 16 09:46:27 EST 2004

I don't have the article in front of me, but Symantec released a study this past Summer indicating that spam now accounts for over 80% of all email traffic; up from 35% just two years earlier.
And in the same breath cited industry experts who predicted that people wouldn't stop using email until that figure rose over 95%.

We try to do our best to stem the flow on our email servers, but often our efforts to tighten the rules result in complaints that legitimate email is being flagged as spam. It does make us wonder how far down the road we'll go before coming to the point of deciding the maintenance costs of offering an open email system aren't worth the benefits.