[WEB4LIB] WEB4LIB digest 3568

Laura Cohen LCohen at uamail.albany.edu
Wed Dec 8 09:52:05 EST 2004

Chip,

Thanks for your message. I find it interesting on several levels.

- You state that you've made "a subset of records available to selected
partners." Your original message stated that you "posted the entire Worldcat
collection of 57 million records for harvesting by the search engines."
Whould you please clarify this apparent discrepancy?

- I am still unclear about any financial gain that OCLC is *currently*
receiving from Open WorldCat. You addressed future possibilities.

- You are splitting hairs to some extent when addressing what you make
available to your partners in relation to the free access by end users to
WorldCat data. While it is true that you're giving a certain amount of
metadata to your partners, from there users can freely access local holdings
information.

I'll admit I don't quite understand WorldCat as "private" and Open WorldCat
as "outreach." I think libraries need to decide if the additional metadata
and relative sophistication of the FirstSearch interface is worth the
current costs of providing access to it. This will increasingly become the
case as Open WorldCat becomes more feature-rich. In my view, the funding
model needs to be re-examined. Based on what? The amount of metadata made
available? Search options? At the very least, in my view, if you are
syndicating WorldCat to other partners, the libraries that provide this
content should share in the profits of this syndication. I'm sure the
library community would appreciate a discussion on this topic with you.

Laura Cohen