[WEB4LIB] Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, First Series

Sarah L. Shreeves sshreeve at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 2 13:29:01 EST 2004

To add to that, UIUC through our IMLS grant (see
http://imlsdcc.grainger.uiuc.edu) helped to set up an OAI static repository
(with both MARC and Dublin Core records) for this collection at the Academy
of Natural Sciences.

The base URL is:
http://imlsdcc.grainger.uiuc.edu/gateway/oai.asp/www.acnatsci.org/library/collections/imls/nlg/AcadNatSciStatic.xml?verb=Identify

The OAI static repository and gateway system is a nice way for small
libraries with relatively static collections that they want to share to
come up on OAI. The UIUC library currently maintains a static repository
(as does Los Alamos Labs, I think). For more information about OAI static
repositories see:
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-static-repository.htm

Sarah Shreeves

At 11:51 AM 12/2/2004, george at library.caltech.edu wrote:
>Reading through the December issue of _Choice_ I stumbled upon a rare
>gem of early American scientific publishing.  Using an IMLS grant, the
>Ewell Sale Stewart Library of the Academy of Natural Sciences has
>digitized the entire first series of Journal of the Academy of Natural
>Sciences of Philadelphia.
>
>Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia
>Fulltext First Series v1-8 (1817-1842)
>http://www.acnatsci.org/library/collections/imls/
>ISSN: 0885-3479
>
>The website provides details on the techniques used in the digitization
>in addition to the historical and scientific bounty of the journal
>proper.  Whether one's research interests run to ornithology,
>entomology, ichthyology, or botany, American scientific luminaries of
>the first half of the 19th century wrote major pieces in this early
>giant of American scholarly communication.  The article which caught my
>eye initially is John James Audubon's prospectus for his monumental
>_Birds of North America_.
>
>George S. Porter
>Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
>California Institute of Technology
>Mail Code 1-43, Pasadena, CA 91125-4300
>Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681
>http://library.caltech.edu
>contributor http://stlq.info |
>http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html

Sarah L. Shreeves
Visiting Project Coordinator, IMLS Digital Collections and Content
University of Illinois Library at Urbana-Champaign
Phone: 217-244-7809
Fax: 217-244-7764
Email: sshreeve at uiuc.edu
Web: http://imlsdcc.grainger.uiuc.edu