[WEB4LIB] Re: Library Websites that use

Andrew Darby adarby at ithaca.edu
Fri Dec 10 11:21:59 EST 2004

I think you're covering your bases better by having an icon + brief
descriptive text + a good alt tag.  If you're providing crucial
information in a tiny image, you're probably doing a disservice to some
of your users.

Visual icons, of course, mean different things to different people, and
something which might seems pretty clear to you, might be more opaque to
someone from a different culture.  If there's text, at least you can
look that up in a dictionary.

Having said this, an icon works awfully well in some contexts (like an
electronic resources page), so a clear and obvious legend would probably
help.

While on the topic of icons, I'd add that just grabbing some clip art
icon (or graphic) to stick on your page is a quick way to make your site
look--how does one put this delicately?--crummy.  If no one on staff is
comfortable making images, maybe you could rope in a student for a
high-profile project they could stick in their portfolio?

Andrew Darby
Web Services Librarian
Ithaca College Library
http://www.ithaca.edu/library/