[WEB4LIB] re: Two steps forward, three steps back

Alain D. M. G. Vaillancourt ndgmtlcd at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 15:55:55 EST 2004

Hello!

Just how many  of these RFPs,m RFIs and RFQs mentioned usability?

I have the impression that most librarians are not aware of it.  I
think that even those who are the most enlightened about such things
focus too much on the mechanics of a boolean search (default AND,
default OR and other like things)and common grounds with what is the
most current on the Web on this matter, and completely neglect other
usability issues (that is, most of them) which neatly trip up Web savvy
users and erect a wall for the rest.

I just can't get over the number of Web based OPACs which make it
impossible for a user to do a standard thing like doing a "BACK" by
clicking on the right mouse button instead of having to go up in the
left hand corner and hit the back button there, or worse still, use
only their own idiosyncratic version of a back button within their
peculiar Web OPAC.

Alain Vailancourt